The Manitou Incline: This should be illegal

12 Jul

So, many of you know/read that I ran the Leadville Trail Marathon 2 weeks ago. My good friend Jeff and I flew into Colorado Springs a few days early in order to acclimate a bit. Needless to say, we didn’t expect to be greeted by the worst wildfire that area has ever seen.  But we were able to drive into Manitou Springs, which is just west of Colorado Springs, on Wednesday afternoon. It was there that we saw and learned about the Manitou Incline trail.

Completed in 1907, the Manitou Incline was a one mile cable tram built to support the construction of a hydroelectric plant and it’s waterline. After its completion, it was turned into a tourist attraction, which featured a 16 minute train ride which claimed to be the longest and highest incline on the globe.

In 1990 the Manitou Incline closed after a rockslide damaged the tracks again and the Cog Railway decided to cease the failing operation and focus on the profitable Cog Railway. Ever since then the route has seen a steady stream of runners, joggers, hikers, walkers, and even some crawlers. The route is short and steep, gaining nearly 2000 feet of elevation in 3/4 of a mile it is truely a Colorado workout.

Jeff and I just had to make the ascent once we learned about it. So, we made a plan to come back early Thursday morning, where we’d take the incline trail to the top, then run the Barr trail back down to the base, a 4.5 mile round trip. Since hiking the trail is officially illegal, and with the Barr trail officially closed because of the wildfires, we had to sneak to the trailhead. Fortunately, no one really cared, and we were able to park close to the start, which is a rarity on a beautiful summer morning.

The challenge ahead of us was 2,200 feet of vertical climbing in 1 mile.

Being sea level dwellers, it didn’t take long to figure out that this was going to be a challenge. The air started thin, and only got thinner, while the effort increased. As you can see by the above elevation chart, the grade averages 41%, with a large chunk of it greater than 60%. This was a beast. Fortunately, we had zero expectations about how long it would take to make the ascent, and we stopped numerous times to enjoy the view and take pictures.

Yeah, we were gonna run up this:

The initial steps up were rather tame, but it was hard to breathe at the beginning. We quickly learned that this would be the easiest section though.

View from the trailhead

Soon enough, the relatively easy section was done. The steps went from 8 inches high to 18 inches high, and we were lifting our feet as high as our knees. It became a struggle to make it 50 yards at a time without having to stop for a breather. Fortunately, turning  around and looking back was enjoyable, since the views were stunning.

A view and a thumb

It may look like we’re approaching the top here. We’re not. That’s a false sense of hope. It still went on beyond this. Jeff had the quote of the day, and of the trip, as we struggled to make the ascent. He said, “This is retarded. And awesome.” I couldn’t have agreed more. That was the perfect description of this ascent.

It became a struggle to climb and breathe, so we had to pick landmarks out ahead of us, such rocks on the side of the trail, or water pipes that crossed the trail, and just make it to those points. We’d turn around and enjoy the view as we took a breather. We’d sit down on a step or a rock and take some pictures or video, then continue for a bit and repeat. At long last, we reached the top of the incline. It was a welcome site, that’s for sure. I had to take a picture at the top in my DBAP shirt, because this was a worthy moment.

From here, there were tons of trails and beautiful scenery. Pikes Peak wasn’t far away, so we were able to see it well, as well as other beautiful sites, some of which I’ve shared below.

Yep, that’s Pikes Peak back there.

Again, Pikes Peak in the background.

Stunning!

The Barr trail is the trail that leads from the Cog Railroad all the way up to the summit of Pikes Peak. The Manitou Incline trail meets up with the Barr trail, and it was a little over 3 miles back down to the parking area. The trail was well groomed and even though we descended over 2,200 feet in that 3 miles, it did not feel that difficult on the legs. Of course, my reality had been forever clouded by the ascent up the Manitou Incline, so maybe that’s why it  wasn’t such a difficult descent.

Yes, the Manitou Incline is both retarded and awesome at the same time. But the ascent is worth it. The stunning views and peaceful setting at the top is unmatched anywhere. I will be back. And so should you.

About these ads

11 Responses to “The Manitou Incline: This should be illegal”

1. mark hellenthal July 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM #

Both you guys are awesome and retarded…but that is why we all get along so well! Lol thanks for sharing guys! See you soon!

2. Amber July 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM #

As a Colorado Springs resident, I’ve done the Incline several times and I can absolutely agree with the “retarded and awesome” assessment. Each time I do it, I think “WTF?” And then once I get to the top, I’m like, “Oh, yeah…now I remember.” :-) Glad you enjoyed your stay despite the wildfires!

• The Ale Runner July 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM #

Thanks for reading, Amber! I really enjoyed my time in Colorado Springs despite the chaos of the Waldo Canyon fire. I will absolutely come back and hopefully soon.

3. PK July 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM #

I count myself as lucky to live close enough to be able to engage in this hopeful act of self flagellation usually twice per week. I know of no other similarly intense yet fulfilling workout anywhere else on the planet.

4. PK July 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM #

BTW, it gets easier with continued use. I don’t recommend sitting to rest, though, as it knocks your cadence and motivation all to hell.

• The Ale Runner July 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM #

I imagine it would. Coming from a completely flat area at sea level, it was a shock to my system. But if I lived there, I’d be there twice a week. I can see how it would be of great benefit. Count yourself lucky!

5. Dave Rohn July 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM #

Yup, that’s a great description! I was up there just a few days before you, it was my second ascent. It’s a tough climb for sure! This year I found a geo-cache up there, that just made my whole day! I was poking around, looking for things to photograph and noticed something that looked like trash stuffed in among the boulders. Reaching in to pull it out and stash it in my pack for later disposal I realized what it was, signed it and returned it. I will be heading back out there in a couple of weeks to climb it one last time for the season. Glad you enjoyed yourselves!
    -Dave R

6. Bill Stockton July 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM #

Four words…”Try it with snow.” :-) Besides the people, this workout is one of the things I miss most about Colorado Springs. Thanks for the awesome write up and pictures!

• The Ale Runner July 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM #

Thanks for the kind words, Bill. Someone else told me the same thing about the snow and ice. Going down would be a nightmare, I imagine.

7. swimchic August 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM #

Great article! We are new residents living about 1/2 hour north of the Incline, and hiked it for the first time last week (July 25th). Our Crossfit trainer first told us about it…had just hiked it the week before with his wife (on their days off!). So my daughter threw down the gauntlet to the old Mom. I picked it up and we went! It was hard, but OMG, SO rewarding. I felt like a million bucks when I reached the top, and the feeling lasted all day. And the big bonus was enjoying the fabulously beautiful Barr trail on the way down. I’m dreading it, but I can’t wait to go back!! Come back soon, maybe we’ll see you on the trails :)